Go to footer

Bernard Van Damme Interview

Interviews with Wrestlingstars

Bernard Van Damme Interview

Postby Bernd Lorenz aka Tazzmaschine » 18.06.2011, 13:16

Hello Wrestlingjunkies,
today my guest comes from Belgium
Please welcome Bernard Van Damme
Hello Bernard,thank you for this interview.

Bernard ,how do you come to the decision to be a Pro wrestler?
I started to watch wrestling at the age of 5. I watched it with the whole family, it was british wrestling. Top stars then were Adrian Street, Bobby Barnes, and later also young Dave Finley. Then at the age of 6 I started judo, which was not bad as a preparation for wrestling. At the age of 19 I started to train with weights, to build up my body, as I only weighed 64 kilos for 1m80.

You startet your career over 18 years ago. Do you remember your first match and the first time in front of a live crowd?
My first match was in Nevele, Belgium, a small show for 300 people. After some matches in Belgium, I realised that I needed some more training, and not the one they had in Belgium. so I went back to Skullcrushers for training and matches there in the southern states, mostly Alabama. Those were the typical indy US shows, like we know them now. Some of the bigger names were Scott and Steve Armstrong, Moadib (Ahmed Johnson), Boris Zukhof, The Freebirds Jimmy Garvin and Michael Hayes...

One of your Trainer was the legendary Adrian Street from the UK and owner of the Skull Krushers Wrestling School. How was the training with Adrian for yourself?
I went to the USA because I really wanted to train with my idol, Adrian Street. he told me a lot about the bussiness, in and out of the ring.
He could be very hard when he thought he needed to be. He is a tough S.O.B, and he will break whoever stands inhis way.
But the most important things, you learn when you are actually in the ring. When I came back from the USA I was still very green. It wasn't after 5 years experience that I could consider myself as a "wrestler".

When you get inside the Ring what is your Favorite Rule,Heel or Face?And why?
I have no special rule... When I fight an italian fan favorite, in MIlan, before an italian crowd, how can be a favourite?? LOL
But I mostly get cheers, I'm fan favourite in France, Poland, Switserland, Belgium, Spain... It depends who's facing me and what country.

You are the Owner of Eurostars Wrestling and 4 time EuroStars European Heavyweight Championship.What brings the future of the Promotion?The last show i know was 2009.
LOL, I'm no owner at all, I'm not even matchmaker or anything. Eurostars is a part of Wrestling Stars, who as been promoting since 1978. I have been bringing some guys in, if I thought they would fit in, and I did most of the translation for the office. A show in 2009, you say, I don't know what show you mean, as there are over 150 shows a year, mostly in France. The last show was last weekend, actually. My last match now was in Switserland. The monday after I ha surgery on my bicep, a torn tendon that needed to be fixed. So I will have a summer rest till september, then it's busy again till december.

Sorry thats my fault,i found this info on a german database.

Is WWE or TNA in the USA an Aim for you? And which Promotion is your Favorite?
WWE was an aim for me when I was younger, but now I'm happy where I am... I have about 6 - 8 matches a month, which is ok. I don't really think WWE would take Belgians or french guys under contract, for WWE there is only UK in Europe.

You wrestler all over Europe, Belgium,Germany,Finland,Italy and so on. Which Country is your personal Favorite and why?
I really loved our tour in Macedonia. The culture, the people, the food everything is just GOOD. It's a poor country, but they all seems happy with what they have. We had a great show in Skopje for 5000 people. Other towns were Kumanovo, Strumica, Bitola... every time a very hot crowd.

When you look in the future is there anything you want to do in wrestling or a match you are dreaming for?
Before I retire, I want to win some tournaments, maybe a grand prix cup of Wrestling Stars world cup... I set my mind off the european title for now, it's time to move on.

By the way after dreaming,what will be your worst nightmare in wrestling?
My injuries... like my torn tricep in Oslo Norway in 2006, twice a bicep tendon torn (left in 2008 and right 2011), two knee operations (1999 and 2000)... But hey, it's like a car, if you drive many kilometers, you need to have it checked up in the garage very often too !!

You wrestled many Big Stars like Starbuck,Lance Storm,Dave taylor or Masahiro Chono. Is there anyone you want to wrestle in your active career?

I had some big names standing in the ring with or before me, either in solo matches, tag matches, battle royals... like you said, Chono, Lance Storm, Hiroshi Tenzan, Dave Taylor. And of course our own european pride like Kovac, Isaksen, Murat, Dough Williams, Bambie, Cybernic...

And when you look at your time in Wrestling what was your personal highlight inside the ring?
It sure is my double crown championship victory, when I beat Erik Isaksen in Sevilla Spain to become double european champion.

Where do you wrestle now?
I wrestle monopoly for Wretstling Stars, mainly in France. Last year I had a few matches in Poland, Switserland and Belgium, but most is in France. It's the ony promotion who has 150+ shows a year, and gets audiances up to 4000 people. This is home.

On your Facebookside is a photo where you look likes a young Jimmy Snuka. Is Snuka on of your Faves?
Haha, like Snuka?? I don't know if I look like him, must be the curly dark hair. No, he wasn't a favourite of me at all.

And what does the man behind the wrestler when you not stands in the ring?
I love languages, so I study very often. I like animals, I like to visit animal parks, especialy monkeys. And of course, to stay in shape, a daily workout in the gym.
I used to to some things for TV, but as TV has a crisis here, it as been calm. Maybe just a calm before the storm??

At the last something to say to your fans ?
Thanks for yourt support,,especially now with my surgery. I was pleasantly pleased woth all the messages and mails. I will be back in september, and I will b stringer than ever !! Europe belongs to me !!Here's a documentary from May 2011, hope you like it : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7dDA7JU ... re=related

Thank you being my guest and i hope we see you sometimes back in a german ring.
Bernd Lorenz aka Tazzmaschine
Admin + WJ ARMY General
Admin + WJ ARMY General

Fave Wrestler: Sting
Fave Promotion: DWA und Top Catch

by Advertising » 18.06.2011, 13:16

Advertising

Re: Bernard Van Damme Interview

Postby NewWorldOrder » 18.06.2011, 13:28

[i_like_it][/i_like_it]

NewWorldOrder
WJ ARMY 2nd Lt.
WJ ARMY 2nd Lt.

Fave Wrestler: Kevin nash
Fave Promotion: nWo

Postby EasyE81 » 18.06.2011, 14:20

Oh, klasse Interview.
Auf dem einen Foto hat er aber wirklich ein wenig Ähnlichkeit mit Snuka...wahrscheinlich dem Outfit zu verdanken :P
EasyE81
WJ ARMY 1st Lt.
WJ ARMY 1st Lt.

Fave Wrestler: HBK, CM Punk, Sting
Fave Promotion: WWE, TNA

Postby Matt Hardy Brand » 19.06.2011, 18:35

A little bit Snuka is inside.

Good Interview.

Matt Hardy Brand
tWo Top User

Fave Wrestler: Matt Hardy
Fave Promotion: WWE

Postby Alberto Del Rio » 22.06.2011, 18:28

Maybe looks like Snuka BUT fight like a Champion. I found some days ago a match against Starbuck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxzmyFfPU5I
Alberto Del Rio
tWo Fan Stufe 2

Fave Wrestler: Alberto Del Rio
Fave Promotion: WWE

Postby RandyOrton » 28.07.2011, 18:02

[i_like_it][/i_like_it]

RandyOrton
tWo Top User

Fave Wrestler: Randy Orton