Go to footer

Interview Shane Strickland - High Octane

Interviews with Wrestlingstars

Interview Shane Strickland - High Octane

Postby Bernd Lorenz aka Tazzmaschine » 03.06.2012, 08:07

Hello Wrestlingjunkies.deFans.Today we have a guest from the USAPlease welcome "High Octane" Shane Strickland

First of all, it is a pleasure for Wrestlingjunkies.de, to do this Interview and we thank you for this opportunity. How are you doing?
I'm doing quite well man! Living life, enjoying my family and pursuing my dream as a pro wrestler.

Can you tell our readers more about your first steps into the wrestling business,what was the reason you wanna be a pro wrestler?
Well the best way to describe it was inspiration, just true inspiration. In high school there were a number of things I was pretty good but none of them really captured my heart the way wrestling did. Right after high school I did the military and when I came home from training I moved down to Virginia, USA with my mother and sister. That next day I called GROUND XERO WRESTLING's promoter Dave McCloud for information about starting in the wrestling school and the following I took my first bump on the mat!

Your coaches in wrestling and your first time in training?

The very first trainer that I was introduced to was Dave McCloud. He was the head trainer, owner, and promoter for GXW and was a very old school style trainer. He had us very first night doing several hundred repetitions of squats and running drills and taking bumps to the mat. There were other nights that where he even had us taking bumps on the floor to test our breathing during bumping. It was tough, brutal, and challenging and i loved every minute of it. He was a man who wasn't satisfied until you left that training school tired, beaten, but also physically tested as well.

Do you remember your first match and what was it like to wrestle in front of an live crowd for the first time?
I remember my first match quite clearly. It was a tag match back in March of the year 2010 for GXW for their event named "Trinity". I was in a Tag Team called "The Holy Union" and our characters were that we were a Reverend and I was the Deacon. Therefore, I went by the name Deacon Strickland ( yeah I know folks, HORRIBLE isnt it?!?!). The crowd instantly loved us and i was so nervous but i knew that I could perform at that level. That match went well, but I looked back at it several times and came to HATE it hahah! But thats how everybody's first match is when you look back at it years from than.

In your opinion, what is the most challenging aspect of the training need to become a professional wrestler?

I would go and say that the most challenging aspect is the dedication. During my time in training I have seen MANY kids and grown ups come in to the building and say they could become stars and than watched them disappear off the face of the earth a week or two into it. It gets difficult, it gets challenging, than paying your dues comes in to play. And what paying your dues means is that as a trainee you have be at the school early to help load and unload the ring on show days, help flyer for upcoming events, help with cleaning the school. Basically doing alot of grunt work, but thats how you gain the respect of the trainers and the boys. Not alot of people can handle that aspect of it due to their own self respect or egos.

What would you say was your hardest match or one of this in your time in wrestling?
Oh man, I cant really go on record to say which was my most difficult match because all matches pose some type of challenge of some sort. But my most difficult matches have come when I was in the ring with somebody who isnt quite on my level as me and the match ends up not being as good as I had hoped it to be.

Let us come to your Nickname "High Octane" is there a story behind?

Not really much of a big story behind it, but I had went back to watch one of my matches on a DVD and the commentator was being funny and made a nickname for me right on the spot saying "there he goes again, HIGH OCTANE SHANE!!!". And ever since Ive heard that I kind of ran with it a little bit. Ive also been playing with the name New Flavor in CZW in my promo as well so we will see how that catches on in the future. HOPEFULLY IT WILL!!!

How would you describe your wrestling style?

I would be categorized in the High Flying section possibly, but i also am a hard hitting style as well. I use my feet, elbows, forearms, and body to attack my opponent. I do use flips and daredevil acrobatics in the air when need be, but I dont like to survive off of just those abilities. I base my style off of the late great Eddie Guerrero because not only could he fly, but he had an amazing striking, grappling, and ground based style. He could compete with anybody on any level the match went and I always wanted to groom myself off of that.

You work now for the Combat Zone Wrestling, how would you describe the CZW and the Fnas there?

Yes I have recently been signed to CZW and that was a HUGE unbelievable honor for me, especially being where I had come from to get there. The fans are quite rowdy and unrelenting all throughout our events and can sometimes just straight boo the hell out of new talents to CZW. Ive seen it happen first hand. Ive been lucky enough not to have been booed by them yet, especially in my debut for CZW in Aerial Assualt. They are also a crowd that appreciates good quality wrestling and amazing athletes, not just the Ultra Violence. When you go the extra mile and sacrifice and earn their respect than they will accept you. Its almost like a cult of some sort hahaha.

But you wrestle alson in Indypendent Companys like the ACW or GXW.On Facebook i saw a photo with you and your Tag Team Partner and Gold in your hands. Is this the GXW Tag Team title?

I wrestle for several Independent Wrestling companies along the east coast of the US. And the photos are correct actually, me and my partner Rev J Boog were the 2 Time GXW Tag Team Champs at one time. I miss those memories because I feel thats where I finally made my mark in wrestling where I felt my first taste of success in this business. It was an amazing moment for me and my partner. He since than has stopped wrestling to be with his family more, but I hope that he will cherish those memories as much as I did.

When a booker or company wants you,where can they contact you and why should they book you?
Im always available to be contacted for bookings on my facebook page under the name Shane Strickland. I also have my email in which I check daily under shanestrick@yahoo and I am on twitter where you can follow me @Shanestrickland. I feel I that I have much to offer to any wrestling company when given the opportunity. I am a young, hungry, dedicated individual with much experience and trained by many well named workers in the business. I have a healthy resume of training and references and a constantly growing library of wrestling matches on youtube to back up my abilities.

Wrestler on the road have many times funny storys of this time.Do you have a funny one which you could share with us?

I do actually, but I wouldnt say it was funny but quite eventful. I had gotten booked up in the state of Rhode Island for a very big event. The drive was about 7 hours by myself with only 50 dollars in cash that my girlfriend had lent me for the trip. I also had borrowed my older sisters car as well so I had to be careful. While driving through New Jersey I was on a 4 lane wide highway when a cop went speeding past another vehicle approximately 5 cars ahead of me. The car swerves out of control and drives 3 lanes over and SMASHES into another car and knocks that car into a ditch on the side! The other car swerves back 3 lanes over and runs head on into a concrete wall! Until that point I had never seen a car accident up close in my life and I was so close to the collision that I couldve been involved, but I was lucky to drift by the accident and continue on to my trip.

When your career has run its course, what do you want to be remembered for the most?
I want to be remembered for having big time matches, and being influential to other young wrestlers to want to mold themselves after me. I want to be the one that other young aspiring wrestlers want to research and study and want to groom themselves and their skills after.

Have you plans for life after wrestling?
I havent truly put much thought into the life after wrestling, but when its all over and done I definitely want to just fade off and become a family man. I have two little girls now and I hope that when I am out of the business to be their them and watch them grow to become young women.

And what do you when you not stands in the ring?
When I am out of the ring I am a home person. I stay home with my kids, I play video games, I also am currently finishing up my career in the military at the end of this year.

Is there anything else you would like my readers to know?
I hope to inspire people with my stories and my life and my experiences in this business. If anybody was looking to get into wrestling and reads my interview, I just hope they understand the hard work and effort you must put in to truly succeed and get what you want out of it. Even if its not wrestling that statement goes with anything you want to do in life. You want something bad enough than you will go out and get it, don't wait for it to come to you or it may never show up.
Thank you very much for this interview and good luck for your future!

Thank you, glad to do this with ya!
Wrestlingjunkies.de - Wrestling is our Drug!!!!

Besucherzaehler
Bernd Lorenz aka Tazzmaschine
Admin + WJ ARMY General
Admin + WJ ARMY General

Fave Wrestler: Sting
Fave Promotion: DWA und Top Catch

by Advertising » 03.06.2012, 08:07

Advertising

Re: Interview Shane Strickland - High Octane

Postby Rock n Wrestling » 03.06.2012, 09:23

Shane you look a littlebit like Shelton Benjamin

Thank you for this interview and come on to germany.

:big_applaus
Rock n Wrestling
tWo Fan Stufe 2

Fave Wrestler: Martin Nolte
Fave Promotion: D.W.A.

Re: Interview Shane Strickland - High Octane

Postby EasyE81 » 03.06.2012, 20:18

Great interview and cool guy :D
EasyE81
WJ ARMY 1st Lt.
WJ ARMY 1st Lt.

Fave Wrestler: HBK, CM Punk, Sting