Go to footer

Interview with Sesan Olukoya-Promoter from Africa

Interviews with Wrestlingstars

Interview with Sesan Olukoya-Promoter from Africa

Postby Bernd Lorenz aka Tazzmaschine » 30.04.2011, 05:50

Hello Wrestlingjunkies,
today my guest comes from Lagos, Nigeria in Africa
Please welcome Sesan Olukoya.
Hello Sesan and thank you for this interview.

Thank you very much for your time too. You are doing great as the link of the European pro-wrestling to the world and I really praise and appreciate you for the nice work you are doing moving the pro-wrestling industry forward.

Can you please tell the fans who you are?

My name is Ambassador Olusesan Olukoya. The Gladiator Championship Wrestling (GCW) with headquarter in New York, USA appointed me as GCW Ambassador for Nigeria, Africa and Potential other countries in the African continent for the next three years from 23rd March 2011 - 22nd March, 2014 for my sincere contributions to the development of pro-wrestling in Africa even as the organization shall be having shows in Africa where I have already done all the ground work needed as the group’s representative in Nigeria and Africa. I am an African pro-wrestling researcher, activist, columnist, photographer and a publisher as I have a monthly WRESTLING UPDATE magazine. I have been doing many things as regards the upliftment of African pro-wrestling.

How do you come to the decision to be a Pro wrestling Promoter and manager?

I was initially a fan. I started by writing pro-wrestling news locally and internationally for City Sports, a weekly Nigerian sports newspaper in 1992 before I started contributing to numerous worldwide pro-wrestling newsletters and magazines such as: Son of Flip, USA; Camel Clutch, Australia; New Wave Wrestling of Mike O’Hara, USA and so on. I have contributed to lots of pro-wrestling websites as well on African Pro-Wrestling news. The first person I promoted was the Lady Stubborn Headache of Liberia who became the African women pro-wrestling champion in 1998 during the All African Pro-Wrestling Championship and I packaged her to Monrovia, Liberia in June 1999 through my sports promoting outfit Royal Sports World, when she was privileged to meet with President Charles Taylor of Liberia.

What was it like to be in the ring as a Promoter for the first time? Was it exciting or was it hard for you to step in front of a live crowd?
Well, It was no big deal for me as I have been ring announcer several times during pro-wrestling events in Lagos, Ibadan and other venues. Nigerian wrestling leaders really appreciate what I stand for so my being in the ring as a promoter for the first time was just one of those things.

When you look in the future is there anything you want to do in wrestling or a match you are dreaming for? Perhaps one of the African Stars like Power Lee vs an European Star or a WWE Superstar?
Thank you very much for this question. It has been my dream for African pro-wrestling to attain an enviable position. The problem African pro-wrestling is having is continental as it boils down to political, economical and social problems besetting the continent as a whole. Despite the economic problems, it is my desire to run joint promotions with worldwide organizations, promotions and federations whereby we will bring in foreign talents for regular shows and also take African talents out too. I know that Power Lee who I am currently managing will wrestle with lots of talents in Europe, USA and Mexico. It is just a matter of time.

That wrestler from Africa gets a chance to wrestle where the big boys play we see with Justin Gabriel. He is now an WWE Star. Do you have ever met him?
No, I have not met Justin Gabriel but many African talents have been privileged to wrestle with world talents then and now. The Great Power Uti of Nigeria wrestled with Catus Foley now Mankind at Ogbe Stadium, Edo State in Nigeria in 1997 and he have as well wrestled in Nigeria with S.D. Jones, Kamala, Rocky Johnson and so on. We have great Nigerians abroad and for instance, Banilux Bulldog is doing great in Scotland, Big Ben Everest Jr. is in USA, Big John Paul is in Spain while Kilimanjaro, Big Shield, Joe Edoza are making waves in South Africa.

And when you look at your time in pro-wrestling in Africa can you share some highlights with us?

Thank you. I was never a wrestler as I have not wrestle before but I can say pro-wrestling is my life. I have a library of wrestling newsletters, magazines, materials and collectibles. My office is full of them. As a publisher, I have met with people that matters in Nigeria and Africa through pro-wrestling. I have met almost sports commissioners in the Nigerian 36 states, Met with governors, and I interviewed President Charles Taylor of Liberia in 1999 and in the year 2001 as well. I have traveled to Ghana, Ivory Coast, Liberia and Sierra Leone all in West Africa through Pro-wrestling. In 2009, I was in Kenya and Uganda in East Africa. I was in Belgium in 2008 and my good friend, Bernard Vandamme the European pro-wrestling champion drove me to AbbeyCourt in France to watch him wrestle Cannonball on the 22nd June 2008 and that was a nice experience. Also I was at the Flemish Wrestling Force (FWF) of Belgium Championship on the 5th February 2010 in Westerlo, Belgium when Rob Raw hosted me.

Training in Africa with your Stars. How is the training there? Does some promotions sometimes have Trainings Camp with Stars from other promotions or Countries?
Training in Africa is the normal pro-wrestling training as the athletes come together on Saturdays, Tuesdays and Thursdays for pro-wrestling training while do they other body building and weight training on Wednesdays and Fridays. We do have training camps whenever foreign talents are here.

How is the TV interest in Africa?

The TV interest is great here with the advent of all the shows of TNA and WWE on dvd and cds regularly. Some are even watched life on cable, so the interest is very high in Africa.

When you go on a road trip to a show sometimes it comes to good funny roadstroys, do you also have one?

We have road trips regularly especially when going for shows outside the state of Lagos where we are based.

Now let us go into the past, your Childhood wrestling hero?

My childhood pro-wrestling hero was the Late Mike Bamidele of Nigeria. I never met him but I was always watching him on the television in the 70s and 80s until he died in London in 1987. He was the former World Light heavyweight champion and he really made an impact then. No wrestler can receive his head butt twice and that really thrills me then.

Many people come over the WWE to be a fan. Do you watch WWE or TNA Show in TV or in the www?
Yes, I watch WWE and TNA shows on TV and sometimes on www. I am not really a fan of WWE but fan of its wrestlers. The WWE as an organization has not influenced other pro-wrestling bodies as they should have done. The group in on their own and that is not good for the promotion of the mat game globally.

Do you remember the first wrestling match that you seen live or in TV?
Yes I remember. That was an IWA in USA on TV and the show featured Dick the “Bulldog Brower” against Argentina Apollo of Argentina. I was 14 years old then in 1979. I was also on the ring Side When the Great Power Uti of Nigeria wrestled with Rocky Johnson of USA in 1987 and he defeated Rocky.

And what do the men behind The Manager and Promoter when you not stand in the ring?
When I am not standing in the ring side, I believe in my athletes that they can perform wonders it is just that they can be robbed of winning whenever the manager or promoter is not available.

At the last something to say to your fans in Africa?

African fans are wonderful and die-hard fans of the mat sport and there are no two words to that. I really appreciate them for this. Just as in football, African fans cherish foreign leagues and championship than our leagues and championships. African fans will rather watch foreign pro-wrestling rather than go for African pro-wrestling warlords. Charity begins at home. We need to support our talents.

And something to say to the promoter in Europe?

Promoters in Europe as well as other continents should watch out for the best of African pro-wrestling superstars. Delay is not denial. We are coming to take the rightfully place for the African wrestlers around the world and there is no stopping us.

Thank you Sesan being my guest and i hope we see you sometimes in a German ring.

Definitely you will see me in Germany in May 2011 by the grace of God as I am set to come over with Power Lee. He will wrestle with the Barbarian during the GCW of New York, USA Rumble in the Jungle championship of August 2011 in Lagos and Abuja in Nigeria and by October this year, he will compete for the African Heavyweight title in Cameroon, so he needs to be trained in free risk and successful pro-wrestling and I sincerely know that Europe can offer him the training. I also as a manager/promoter want to acquire training on successful African pro-wrestling promotion of events and management of wrestlers and their activities, so our coming is very important.

Thank you sincerely my friend as I have told you before, you are doing great. God bless.

Bernd Lorenz aka Tazzmaschine
Admin + WJ ARMY General
Admin + WJ ARMY General

Fave Wrestler: Sting
Fave Promotion: DWA und Top Catch

by Advertising » 30.04.2011, 05:50

Advertising

Re: Interview with Sesan Olukoya-Promoter from Africa

Postby Guest » 30.04.2011, 13:47

I AM SURPRISED AND SHOCK,,,, TO READ THIS FROM YOU SESAN OLUKOYA,,,AND YOUR SO CALLED AFFILIATION,,,, WITH ONE ORGANIZZATION IN NYC,,, I HAVE RISPECT AND I KNOW THE ORGANIZZATION FROM NYC.... BUT IT IS YOU.... THAT I CAN NOT BELIVE...AFTER ALL OUR NEGOTIETION AND AFTER ALL YOUR PRONISES,,, AND AFTER YOU WANT ME TO DO ALL FOR NOTHING FOR YOU.. AND YOU KNOW,,THIS??.... YOU WENT TO THE NEXT TO SEE IF YOU CAN GET ANYTHING FOR NOTHING,,,,, I HAVE ALLWAY HAD AND DO HAVE NOW THE RISPECT OFF ALL SUPERSTARS IN PRO WRESTLING...FROM WWE AND TNA AND ALSO WEN WE HAD WCW,,,, I USE 100S OFF THE BEST INDIPENDENT PRO WRESTLERS FROM ALL OVER THE USA .. AND DIAL WITH THE BEST... BUT NEVER HAD... THE PROBLEM TO HAVE SOME ONE USE ME TO GET..SOME FOR NOTHING..AND GO TO NEXT ONE TO GET SOME FOR NOTHING.... ALLMY WRESTLERS DO GET COMPENSATE ALL TIME FOR THE WORK INSIDE THE RING,,,,, WEN I TALK TO YOU MANY TIME AND ALL THE EMAIL YOU SEND..WICH I HAVE ALL COPYS.... YOU PROMISE THE WORLD... AND AFTER I DID THE WORK.... YOU ARE GOING.... IF YOU WANT A TILTLE AS YOU THINK YOU HAVE NOW??... YOU CAN COME UP WITH ANY TITLE AND POSTED HERE..NO ONE KNOW THE DIFFERENSE...... BUT YOU AND I KNOW THE TRUW... D.S WWWA OWNER IN THE GREAT USA.. GOD BLESS ALL PRO WRESTLING AND ALSO MY FRIEND FROM THE GLADIATOR WRESTLING.... THIS IS FOR YOU AND ME ONLY

Postby Brody01 » 30.04.2011, 14:40

I must say, I heard exactly the same things here in Europe.
Sesan is promising all sort of tours for the wrestlers in Nigeria, but actually he has never done ONE show in those 6 years.
And his protege Power Lee (so called Nigerian champion) has never done a match in his life. Those maches/tournaments are inventive.
I guess this is typical Nigerian scam?
Brody01
tWo User

Fave Wrestler: Bruiser Brody
Fave Promotion: all

Postby Bernd Lorenz aka Tazzmaschine » 30.04.2011, 17:30

Gast wrote:I AM SURPRISED AND SHOCK,,,, TO READ THIS FROM YOU SESAN OLUKOYA,,,AND YOUR SO CALLED AFFILIATION,,,, WITH ONE ORGANIZZATION IN NYC,,, I HAVE RISPECT AND I KNOW THE ORGANIZZATION FROM NYC.... BUT IT IS YOU.... THAT I CAN NOT BELIVE...AFTER ALL OUR NEGOTIETION AND AFTER ALL YOUR PRONISES,,, AND AFTER YOU WANT ME TO DO ALL FOR NOTHING FOR YOU.. AND YOU KNOW,,THIS??.... YOU WENT TO THE NEXT TO SEE IF YOU CAN GET ANYTHING FOR NOTHING,,,,, I HAVE ALLWAY HAD AND DO HAVE NOW THE RISPECT OFF ALL SUPERSTARS IN PRO WRESTLING...FROM WWE AND TNA AND ALSO WEN WE HAD WCW,,,, I USE 100S OFF THE BEST INDIPENDENT PRO WRESTLERS FROM ALL OVER THE USA .. AND DIAL WITH THE BEST... BUT NEVER HAD... THE PROBLEM TO HAVE SOME ONE USE ME TO GET..SOME FOR NOTHING..AND GO TO NEXT ONE TO GET SOME FOR NOTHING.... ALLMY WRESTLERS DO GET COMPENSATE ALL TIME FOR THE WORK INSIDE THE RING,,,,, WEN I TALK TO YOU MANY TIME AND ALL THE EMAIL YOU SEND..WICH I HAVE ALL COPYS.... YOU PROMISE THE WORLD... AND AFTER I DID THE WORK.... YOU ARE GOING.... IF YOU WANT A TILTLE AS YOU THINK YOU HAVE NOW??... YOU CAN COME UP WITH ANY TITLE AND POSTED HERE..NO ONE KNOW THE DIFFERENSE...... BUT YOU AND I KNOW THE TRUW... D.S WWWA OWNER IN THE GREAT USA.. GOD BLESS ALL PRO WRESTLING AND ALSO MY FRIEND FROM THE GLADIATOR WRESTLING.... THIS IS FOR YOU AND ME ONLY

The Only thing Wrestler or Promoter can get here is become a little bit Spotlight ;-) but it is intresting to hear from other Promoter something.
You are Dino Sanna,right?
Gtz Bernd
Wrestlingjunkies.de - Wrestling is our Drug!!!!

Besucherzaehler
Admin + WJ ARMY General
Admin + WJ ARMY General

Postby Guest » 02.05.2011, 00:59

YES I AM DINO SANNA SESAN HAS DONE NOTHING BUT PROMISES AND PROMISES TO ME AND OTHERS GET HAS TO DO LOT OF WORK AND SO CALLED TOUR PREPARATIONS AND .. WEN TIME COMES SESAN WILL ASK YOU OR ME OR OTHERS TO COME FOR NOTHING AND ALSO WANT YOU TO INVEST YOUR TIME AND MONEY,,,TO PLEASE HIM,,,,,, WE ALL KNOW THE WAY THIS WORKS... I HAVE NO PROBLEMS WITH ANY PRO WRESTLING PROMOTIONS... I HAVE DONE THIS FOR 30 YEARS AS OF MAY 10 -- 2011... I HAVE DONE PRO WRESTLING IN MANY PART OF THE WORLD...... AND DONE THE PROPER WAY WEN YOU DO A TOUT.. YOU MUST HAVE THE MONEY TO PAY ALL WRESTLERS AND OTHER EXCPENSE AFFILIATED WITH THE TOUR..... I WILL NEVER ASK ANY WRESTLERS TO GO ON TOUR FOR ONE OF 2 WEEKS WITH OUT ANY MONEY UPFRONT.... YOU ALL KNOW...IF YOU DONT'''???? YOUR DONE..... YES I HAVE BEENG PROMISED LOT FROM HIM.....

Postby Brody01 » 02.05.2011, 16:30

Haha, unbelievable, this sesan...
Brody01
tWo User

Fave Wrestler: Bruiser Brody
Fave Promotion: all

Postby Knightrocker » 02.05.2011, 16:43

Thats really unbelievable :shock:
Knightrocker
tWo Mitglied

Postby Bernd Lorenz aka Tazzmaschine » 02.05.2011, 16:50

Ich habe Kontakt zu Dino aufgenommen und werde mir in aller Ruhe alles anhören was er mir zu sagen hat.

Ich persönlich kenne Sesan nur von Facebook wo er mir persönlich immer sehr nett rüber kam und auch keinerlei anstalten wegen Geld oder so machte.

Wir kamen ins Gespräch durch einen Menschen die wir beide kenne:Rob Raw . Und so kam eins zum anderen. Dennoch wie gesagt ich werde mir Dino´s Seite anhören.

Besucherzaehler
Admin + WJ ARMY General
Admin + WJ ARMY General

Postby Sir Robin » 02.05.2011, 18:27

Hi Bernd,

if you want, I can also tell you some not-so-positive stories about those Nigerians. :mrgreen:
Sir Robin
tWo Mitglied

Postby Bernd Lorenz aka Tazzmaschine » 02.05.2011, 18:45

Hey Buddy,
i just send you a Mail on facebook.
Gtz to you and Lady Lory

Besucherzaehler
Admin + WJ ARMY General
Admin + WJ ARMY General

Next